Call The Office
(03) 5278 2666
124 Sparks Rd, Norlane, VIC 3214
Teeth whitening is an effective way of lightening the natural shade of your teeth without removing any of the teeth surfaces. It cannot create a total colour change, but it can substantially lighten the shade of your teeth.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
The most obvious benefit of teeth whitening is an enhanced, whiter, and brighter smile, which improves your appearance.
However, in addition to the aesthetic advantages with teeth whitening, other benefits include:
- Increased self-esteem and confidence
- Kills bacteria that may cause gum disease and/or tooth decay
- Boosts your self-esteem
Causes of Discoloured Teeth
Your tooth enamel can also be stained by food and beverages such as tea, coffee, red wine, and blackcurrant. Smoking and using other tobacco products can also stain teeth.
Calculus or tartar can also affect the shade of your teeth. Some people have discolouration under the surface, which can be caused by certain antibiotics or by tiny cracks in the teeth where stains settle.
The Teeth Whitening Procedure
There are several steps to performing an in-office teeth whitening:
- Your Norlane dentist records the shade of your teeth.
- Your teeth are then polished with a grainy material to remove any plaque on the surface.
- A gauze is placed to keep your teeth dry. Retractors may be used to keep your cheeks, lips, and tongue well away from the whitening solution.
- A barrier is placed along the gum line to protect it from exposure to the solution further.
- Next, the teeth are covered with a whitening solution on their front surfaces. The solution contains either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide as the bleaching agent.
- Many whitening products require a curing light to activate the peroxide. Once applied, the solution is soaked on the teeth for 30 to 60 minutes, or occasionally reapplied, depending on the brand.
- Once the desired shade is achieved, the teeth are rinsed. A fluoride application may be used to calm any tooth sensitivity.
Follow-up appointments are scheduled until the desired shade is achieved.
When done, you are advised to avoid certain foods or drinks that cause stains like coffee, tea, beets, candies, and red wine, for at least 24 hours. Also, avoid tobacco use of any sort.
Teeth Whitening at Norlane Dental Surgery
At Norlane Dental Surgery, we believe everyone deserves a beautiful smile, and we are here to help you achieve this goal. We provide safe and effective cosmetic procedures to enhance your smile, including teeth whitening.
We are located at 124 Sparks Road in Norlane.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will my porcelain veneers and crowns last?
Will my veneer/crown be noticeable?
We offer Interest Free Plans – No Interest Ever!
NEED ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.
There is ample free car parking onsite