Dental Tips: How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?
Dental Health Week will be on 3 – 9 August 2020.
Dental Health Week aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing at least two times every day with a fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Flossing between your teeth every day.
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
This year’s campaign is primarily focused on the harmful effects of sugar to one’s oral health, aiming to help Australians to ‘get sugar savvy’.
This includes recommended daily sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and spells out the effect sugar has on our teeth.
This is supported by three main sugar messages:
- Avoid consuming foods and beverages with added sugars.
- Opt for foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Look out for hidden sugars when buying foods and drinks.
The abovementioned messages will be reinforced through the tagline: ‘How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?’, which draws on the concept of hidden sugars and checking food labels to make healthy choices.
Making healthy choices at the supermarket means making similar smart food and drink choices at home.
Not buying unhealthy items in the supermarket means you don’t have to continue saying ‘no’ at home.
We may assume that everyone has good oral health; the reality is, the oral health of many Australians is not near where it should be.
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have had a dental check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once a day.
- Nearly 40% of Australians never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people are consuming too much sugar.
- 47% of adults are consuming too much sugar.
A consultation with your trusted Norlane Geelong dentist is ideal for one-on-one advice where your dental questions can be answered.
Dental Health Now at Norlane Dental Aesthetics and Implants!
At Norlane Dental Aesthetics and Implants, we believe everyone deserves excellent quality dentistry, and our goal is to help you achieve this.
Norlane Dental Aesthetics and Implants is a multi-surgery practice that has been operating for over 30 years taking care of the oral health needs of the community.
At Norlane Dental Aesthetics and Implants, our focus remains on providing patients with exceptional general, orthodontics and Implant dentistry.
If you would like to know more about us, please contact us now for a consultation.
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Norlane Geelong
We are located at 21 Princes Highway in Norlane.