Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Same Day Emergency Appointment Available
If a wisdom tooth is impacted, resulting in pain, infection, or other dental problems, you’ll likely need to have it pulled by a dentist or an oral surgeon.
Why it’s done
Many people grow impacted wisdom teeth. Impacted wisdom teeth may erupt partially or completely.
A wisdom tooth may be removed because of the following:
- They’re impacted
- They come in at the wrong angle
- Your mouth isn’t big enough
- You have cavities or gum disease
You will likely feel complications if you keep on delaying the removal of your wisdom tooth, including:
- Food and other particles trapped behind or between teeth
- Infection or gum disease
- Partially erupted wisdom tooth decay
- Damage to surrounding teeth, tissues, or bones
- Development of a cyst around the wisdom tooth
- Complications with orthodontic treatments
The Wisdom Teeth Extraction Procedure
During the wisdom tooth extraction procedure, your Norlane dentist or oral surgeon:
- Cuts through your gum tissue, exposing the tooth and bone
- Takes out the portion of bone that blocks entry to the tooth root
- Divides the tooth into sections if it’s easier to remove in smaller pieces
- Takes out the tooth
- Cleans the site of the pulled tooth of any debris from the tooth or the bone
- Stiches the wound to promote healing
- Places gauze on the site to help control bleeding and to help a blood clot form
After Surgery Care
Patients who undergo extraction surgery typically recuperate after a week, without any difficulties. The recovery period will depend on the complexity of the process, the anaesthesia used, your diet, and preventive measures for complications.
It is important to keep your head elevated for the first three days after the extraction. Never let your head tilt below your heart. Always remember that the site is a wound in your jaw, and it needs healing. Use pillows to elevate your head when lying down on your bed.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction at Norlane Dental Surgery
Wisdom teeth extractions performed at Norlane Dental Surgery are guaranteed safe and effective. Your treatment plan is carefully tailored specifically for you!
We are located at 124 Sparks Road in Norlane.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do wisdom teeth need to be extracted?
What is an impacted wisdom tooth?
What are some problems that can arise if I do not remove my wisdom teeth?
We offer Interest Free Plans – No Interest Ever!
NEED ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.