Call The Office
(03) 5278 2666
124 Sparks Rd, Norlane, VIC 3214
Meet our dental team
Braces Care Norlane Geelong
Braces are dental appliances worn to help correct the alignment of our teeth and jaws, which can offer better health — and a long-lasting smile that can last a lifetime.
However, braces come with a greater opportunity for plaque build-up in and around the spaces and our teeth and gums.
This makes it important to take care when practising oral hygiene as well as cleaning our braces regularly.
Basic Hygiene and Care for Braces
It is important not only to practice proper oral hygiene but also to practice careful braces hygiene while wearing braces or other orthodontic appliances.
Because orthodontic appliances create areas for plaque build-up and bacteria, cleaning them properly can help prevent any onset of gum disease and tooth decay and keep your teeth and mouth healthy.
When you wear braces, your Norlane dentist may provide or recommend a product that will help you clean your braces. Make sure to use them as instructed.
This may take a little practice, but it will become a quick-and-easy daily habit and part of your oral hygiene routine.
Do not forget, brushing your braces is not enough to keep them totally clean, and they will require special cleaning.
If you wear removable orthodontic appliances, make sure to remove and clean them with toothbrush and water every night before sleeping.
How to Clean your Braces
- Make sure to take off any bands, straps, or headgear.
- Place your brush at a 45-degree angle against the gum. Use gentle side-to-side strokes along the gumline. Brush one tooth at a time for about 10 seconds each time.
- Do the same for inner and outer sides and gum lines.
- Brush all the chewing surfaces of your teeth, including the back teeth.
- Brush around the brackets from top to bottom and in reverse. Do not put too much pressure on the wires or brackets.
When you are installed with braces, your Norlane dentist will most likely recommend you take care of them by considering your dietary choices.
There are specific foods that may cause damage to your braces and make it necessary to go back to the clinic for fixing or further treatment.
Here are a few tips to avoid damage to your braces while eating and drinking:
- Avoid chewing gum
- Avoid drinking sweet and acidic drinks
- Hard fruits and foods that need firm chewing should be cut into smaller pieces before eating
- Limit your sugary food intake
- Avoid hard and sticky candies
Braces Lifestyle Changes
It may seem overwhelming, but you should be able to adapt to your braces and make it a habit of looking after them and your oral health.
Braces don’t stay on forever, but their effect on your dental health will be around for a long time once they are removed.
- See your Norlane dentist monthly for adjustments if necessary
- Wear a mouthguard if you play sports or participate in leisure activities
- Bring a toothbrush with you whenever you leave home and clean your braces whenever you think it’s necessary
Braces Care in Norlane Geelong
Take care of your braces as how you take care of your own teeth. Remember that they do you a lot of favour in improving your smile.
FREE Orthodontics Consultation
We are located at 124 Sparks Road in Norlane.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I brush my teeth while the braces are still on?
Do I still need to go to my dentist while wearing braces?
We offer Interest Free Plans – No Interest Ever!
NEED DENTAL ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Dental Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.