Call The Office
(03) 5278 2666
124 Sparks Rd, Norlane, VIC 3214
Meet our dental team
Braces Care Norlane Geelong
Braces are effective dental appliances worn to help straighten the teeth and jaws, which can provide a better overall health — and a long-lasting smile.
However, with braces comes a greater risk for plaque build-up in and around the spaces between the parts and our teeth and gums.
This makes it necessary to take extra care when practising oral hygiene as well as cleaning our braces regularly.
Braces Hygiene and Care
It is important not only to keep a good oral hygiene routine but also to practice hygiene while wearing braces.
Since braces create more spaces for plaque and bacteria to develop, cleaning them thoroughly can help prevent any onset of periodontal disease and cavities and keep your mouth healthy.
When you get braces, your Norlane dentist may provide or recommend a product or device that will help you clean your braces. Use this device every day to keep your oral hygiene in check.
This process may take a little practice and patience, but before long, it will become a quick-and-easy habit and part of your hygiene routine.
If you are fitted with removable braces, take them off and clean them with a soft-bristled toothbrush and running water every night.
Braces Cleaning Tips
- Remove any bands, straps, or headgear.
- Position your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against the teeth and gums when brushing. Use gentle side-to-side strokes to clean along the gumline. Brush one tooth at a time for about 10 seconds each.
- Do this for the inner and outer surfaces and gumlines.
- Brush the chewing surface of all teeth including back teeth.
- Clean around the braces from top to bottom. Try not to put too much pressure on the wires and/or brackets.
Braces Diet Tips
When you have braces, your Norlane dentist will most likely recommend that you take special care of them by considering your dietary choices.
Certain foods may cause damage to your braces and make it necessary for you to return to the dental clinic for repairs or further treatment.
Here are some tips to prevent damage to your braces:
- Don’t chew gum
- Avoid drinking soft drinks and other acidic drinks
- Hard foods that require firm chewing should be cut into smaller pieces before eating
- Limit your intake of sweets
Braces Lifestyle Changes
It may be a bit challenging at the start, but you should be able to get accustomed to your braces and make a natural habit of taking care of them and your oral health.
Braces don’t stay on your teeth forever, but their positive effect on your dental and overall health will be around for a long time once they are removed.
- Visit your dentist monthly for adjustments if necessary.
- If you engage in contact sports or physically active hobbies, wear a mouthguard
- Bring a toothbrush with you when you leave home and clean your braces whenever you think it’s necessary.
Braces Care in Norlane Geelong
Caring for your braces is like taking care of your teeth. Always remember that they do you a lot of favour in improving your smile.
We are located at 124 Sparks Road in Norlane.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I need to wear braces?
Do I still need to go to my dentist while wearing braces?
How often should I brush my teeth while the braces are still on?
We offer Interest Free Plans – No Interest Ever!
NEED DENTAL ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.