Call The Office
(03) 5278 2666
124 Sparks Rd, Norlane, VIC 3214
Here are the things you need to know about dentures and your oral health. At Norlane Dental Surgery, we hope to help you find the answers to all your denture queries and to find out whether dentures might be right for you.
Dentures are removable replacements for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. There are two types of dentures available – complete and partial dentures.
Complete dentures are worn when all the teeth in the arch are missing and need to be replaced, while partial dentures are used when some natural teeth remain.
How are Dentures Made?
Making dentures usually takes a few weeks over several sessions.
Once your dentist or prosthodontist determines what type of restoration is best for you, the common steps are to:
- Take impressions of your jaw and take assessments of how your jaws relate to one another and how much space is between them.
- Create models, wax forms, and/or patterns in the exact shape and position of the denture. You will “try in” this model many times and the denture will be assessed for shade, shape, and fit before the final denture is cast.
- Make a final denture
- Adjustments will be made as necessary
Also, it is normal for minor irritation, soreness, and for increase of saliva flow when you first start wearing them, but these problems will lessen as the mouth adjusts.
Taking Care of your Dentures
In cleaning dentures, you should:
- Clean your dentures with fluoride toothpaste or soap and water before soaking them
- Soak them in a solution of denture-cleaning tablets to remove stains and bacteria
- Brush (don’t scrub) them again as you would your normal teeth
Dentures may break if dropped, so you should clean them over a bowl filled with water, or something soft like a clean towel.
Always remove your dentures before going to sleep to avoid damaging them, dislodging them, and to give your gums some time to relax.
Submerge your dentures fully in warm, but not hot, water to keep them from drying out and becoming misshapen. Only use denture-soaking solution if your dentures do not include metal components, as the solution can tarnish the metal.
Dentures at Norlane Dental Surgery
If you have missing teeth and want to restore your smile, be sure to visit your Norlane dentist today to learn more about dentures and how they can help you!
We are located at 124 Sparks Road in Norlane.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it painful to wear dentures?
Can I wear dentures while sleeping?
Can I eat normally while wearing dentures?
We offer Interest Free Plans – No Interest Ever!
NEED ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.