Dental Tips: Top 4 Amazing Benefits of Brushing & Flossing
Proper brushing and flossing as part of your daily oral care routine are the important components in keeping your teeth plaque-free – and protecting your teeth and gums for a lifetime.
Check out Norlane Dentist Tips: Top 4 Amazing Benefits of Brushing & Flossing below.
1. Whiter Teeth and Brighter Smile!
Every day, plaque build-up leads to tartar and stains.
Proper brushing and flossing can remove plaque before it hardens to tartar, keeping your smile healthy and bright!
2. Fresh Breath!
No one loves bad breath!
Oral bacteria can produce an embarrassing and unhealthy odour.
Brushing and flossing help fight the bacteria that cause bad breath and tooth decay!
3. Healthy, Firm Gums!
Brushing cleans teeth, gums, and where they meet.
Flossing cleans between and underneath the surfaces of the teeth and gums.
Unhealthy gums can cause gum disease with severe problems in your mouth and body.
4. Save Money!
Proper dental care saves money.
Good dental habits help prevent problems that may require extra visits to your dentist.
With proper at-home dental care, you reduce the cost of dental treatments!
Brushing and Flossing: The Importance of Proper Techniques
Brush your teeth twice a day using a toothbrush with soft bristles and fluoride toothpaste.
The size and shape of your brush must fit your mouth to be able to reach all areas easily.
Change your toothbrush once every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are worn or frayed.
How to brush your teeth properly
- Position your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your gums.
- Move your brush back and forth gently.
- Brush all the surfaces of the teeth.
- Tilt the brush vertically and make gentle strokes in cleaning the inner surfaces of the front teeth.
Brushing your teeth is just one of the few important steps of a proper oral care routine. Do not forget to:
- Clean between teeth daily once a day. Tooth decay-causing bacteria remain between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove plaque and food debris from teeth and gumline.
- Maintain a balanced diet. Limit the intake of sugary beverages and snacks.
- See your Norlane dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease.
Flossing should be a required part of your daily routine. While brushing can help erode the bacteria on some of your teeth, some areas will be missed if you don’t floss.
These bacteria cause gum disease and tooth decay, and when it combines with your saliva and food, it creates plaque, a transparent, colourless film that sticks to your teeth.
How to floss
To receive maximum benefits from flossing, apply the following technique:
- Start with about 18 inches of floss, wind most of the floss around each middle finger. Leave an inch or two of floss to work with.
- Hold the floss taut between your thumbs and index fingers. Slide it gently up-and-down between your teeth.
- Curve the floss around the base of each tooth, making sure you go underneath the gumline. Never snap or force the floss. This may cut or bruise fragile gum tissues.
- Use a new section as you move from each tooth.
- Use the same motion to bring the floss up and away from the teeth.
Brushing and flossing help keep your smile beautiful, save money, and even save your life!
Experience fresher breath, healthier gums, and stronger teeth at Norlane Dental Aesthetics and Implants!
Quality Dentistry in Norlane
At Norlane Dental Aesthetics and Implants, we believe everyone deserves excellent quality dentistry, and our goal is to help you achieve this.
Norlane Dental Aesthetics and Implants is a multi-surgery practice which has operated for over 30 years taking care of the oral health needs of the community.
For more information about Norlane Dentist Tips: Top 4 Amazing Benefits of Brushing & Flossing, please contact us now for a consultation.
Call us on (03) 5278 2666 or visit us at 21 Princes Highway in Norlane.