How to Overcome Dental Fear — Tips from Norlane Dental Surgery
The overwhelming fear of going to dental appointments can be a common cause of anxiety. Many people visualise a drill-wielding man in a white coat just waiting to cause pain and remove teeth.
However, the reality is very different.
The patients’ comfort, relaxation, and happiness are embedded deep at the core of any patient-friendly dental practice. Our Norlane dental team will do whatever they can to reduce anxiety, allay fears and provide painless, quick treatments.
Modern dental technology advancements have meant that, in many cases, dentists replace noisy drills with painless laser beams. There is also a wide range of safe anaesthetics available to eliminate pain and reduce anxiety during routine appointments.
There are several different reasons a patient might have a fear of the dentist, and these include:
- Fear of pain
- Fear of needles
- Fear of losing control or feeling helpless
- Fear of losing personal space
- Embarrassment over bad oral health
- Bad childhood experience at the dentist’s office
Tips to Overcome Dental Fear
Whether you’re ready to conquer your fear or getting ready to see the dentist, the following tips can help you stay calm during your dental appointment:
- Visit your dentist at a less busy time of day, such as morning. There will be fewer people and lesser equipment making noises that could trigger your fear.
- Wear noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds. Listen to music to help you relax.
- Ask a friend or loved one to accompany you during your dental appointment.
- Practise deep breathing and other meditation techniques to relax your nerves.
Above everything else, know that it’s alright if you need to take a break at any point during your dental visit. It is also helpful to set a “signal” with your dentist, so they know when to stop.
You can either continue with your visit when you’re ready or return on another day when you feel better.
Overcome Dental Fear with your Trusted Norlane Dentist
When it comes to dental fear and anxiety, your friendly Norlane dentist can help you deal with your concerns by giving the best solution you ever need.
Your dental care partners at Norlane Dental Surgery aim to offer you a comfortable and pain-free dental experience whenever you visit us.
We believe everyone deserves excellent quality dentistry, and our goal is to help you achieve this.
Norlane Dental Surgery is a multi-surgery practice operating for over 30 years, taking care of the oral health needs of the community.
Our focus remains on providing patients with exceptional general, orthodontics and Implant dentistry.
If you would like to know more about us, don’t hesitate to contact us now for a consultation.
We are located at 124 Sparks Road in Norlane.
We look forward to meeting you!
NEED ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Dental Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.