Dental Tips: Dental Emergency Tips While Travelling
Travelling can be a fun-filled activity. But a dental emergency, even a simple toothache, can ruin everything.
There’s no need to worry; Norlane Dental Surgery can help!
Consider these tips to help you avoid or handle dental emergency problems.
- Refrain from major dental treatments before travelling.
- During a long course of treatments, ask your Norlane dentist for some guidelines on how to keep things safe during your trip.
- While on the road, recognise these preventive methods:
- Don’t chew popcorn kernels, hard candy, ice, or other tough materials.
- Avoid using your teeth to cut things open.
- Don’t forget to carry a dental first aid kit with you. It should include things like floss, pain relievers, mouthguards, and sugarless gum to fill in lost fillings.
- If you’re suffering from a serious dental emergency, see a dentist immediately by asking a hotel front desk to find you a local dentist.
- Include, in your passport, travel information with names and phone numbers of organisations to call in case of a dental or medical emergency.
Keep your teeth and mouth in great condition before leaving home.
It is especially important to have a regular oral hygiene routine when travelling. This helps maintain your mouth in a healthy, non-emergency state.
When to Seek Emergency Dental Care
It is important to know what types of injuries require emergency dental care, so you can make sure that your family’s teeth are taken care of while avoiding unneeded trips to the emergency room.
Accidents can happen anytime, anywhere. Some oral injuries may need urgent treatment, while others can wait until your dentist’s normal business hours.
Some common types of mouth injuries include:
- Lost tooth/teeth
- Lost crown or filling
- Injury on the gums, palate or mouth through trauma or impact
- Dislodged or loosened teeth
- Chipped or fractured tooth
- Sudden, unusual, excruciating pain
- Swelling and redness on the gums or mouth
- Sudden, tooth-related pain or new pain in the gums
The appropriate response depends on the situation and severity of the injury. In case of a lost tooth, the immediate action taken may decide whether a dentist can replace the tooth or not.
Dental Emergencies When Travelling
Travelling is already stressful. Adding a dental emergency makes it more exhausting. Make sure you’re prepared to avoid issues and deal with them when they take place.
Dental emergencies should be attended to right away to avoid inconvenience you during your trip. The quicker the problem is solved, the more likely you will be saved from hassle, extra costs, and more comprehensive treatments.
At Norlane Dental Surgery, we are ready to handle your dental emergencies with the utmost care and urgency you deserve.
Norlane Dental Surgery also serves local communities in Geelong, North Geelong, West Geelong, East Geelong, South Geelong, Corio, Lara, North Shore, Highton, Belmont, Little River, Newtown, Armstrong Creek, Ceres and Grovedale.
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available
Call us on (03) 5278 2666 or visit us at 124 Sparks Road in Norlane.
NEED ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION. (replies during business hours)
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards as well as HICAPS, MBF, Medibank Private, HCF & All major health funds.